Welcome to our preview of NFL over under wins predictions for the NFC East division!
The summer is flying by and the 2019 National Football League season is fast approaching as we inch toward kickoff one day at a time. While plenty of bettors and fans are waiting on the most popular sport in the United States to return with preseason games beginning in August, many of the top sportsbooks in New Jersey are offering odds for a wide variety of futures markets to be wagered on in the weeks leading up to the season.
Among the futures markets offered are 2019 NFL season win totals, which allow players to select over or under a certain amount of victories for each team over the course of the season. These wagers are extremely popular as a bet that provides a rooting interest throughout the entire regular season beyond just one game or week in particular.
Football Handicapping Tips For NFL Season Win Totals
Traditional NFL over unders are one of the first things covered when learning how to bet on sports, and the same game-by-game rules can be applied to win totals throughout an entire season as well. The differences between gambling on normal weekly totals and wagering on NFL futures are the tactics that go into covering an entire season's schedule at once, which is partially a guessing game. When looking to make NFL over under wins predictions, keep track of the following things:
- How The Schedule Looks: A tough NFL schedule is a great way to derail a season, while a soft one can lend itself to some easy wins. While strength of schedule is a statistic we all look at for NFL futures bets, it's not the end-all-be-all because it only includes last season's records, so be sure to dive into this year's schedule of opponents as well. While some teams are in similar shape, others may not be, and doing some research on this year's schedule will go further than just checking last year's opponent win-loss numbers (even though they can be helpful at times).
- Which Way Is The Line Moving?: Track line movement (if there is any) and find value by shopping around among the best NJ sportsbooks. In many cases, these football bet types are popular among fans wagering on their favorite teams and selecting the over. By keeping an eye on line movement and keeping your fandom out of the equation, you can find advantageous lines for several teams.
- Separate Funds For NFL Season Win Totals: Some bettors avoid NFL season win totals betting because it ties up money for months at a time. While this is true, it's also the very reason to establish separate funds for these types of NFL futures wagers. Don't forego gambling on potentially profitable categories or deprive yourself of a season-long rooting interest, just budget for it.
- Offseason Changes: There are always more roster and coaching changes than one realizes at first, so take the time to nail down any chances to offensive/defensive systems and brush up who is playing for which team now. New coordinators or personnel could drastically change an NFL futures bet.
- Depth Charts: The starting units aren't all need to look at when it comes to personnel, especially over the course of a season. Injuries are inevitable and some teams are more equipped to handle that than others due to depth, which can affect potential NFL season win totals wagers.
Below, we are breaking down NFL season win totals with odds from DraftKings Sportsbook and making some football betting picks for one of the best and most popular futures markets out there!
NFL Over/Under Wins: NFC East Predictions
Like it is going into most seasons, the NFC East is a bit up in the air as we await the 2019 NFL season. Most of the best NJ sportsbooks have this pegged as a two-horse race between Philadelphia and Dallas, with odds from DraftKings listing the Eagles (-106) as favorites and the Cowboys (+140) in second.
A notoriously competitive division, the NFC East isn't going to be a cakewalk and inter-division wins, especially on the road, tend to be well-earned. Will Washington(+900) and the Giants (+1200) in the background remain in the background of the divisional playoff picture as the odds suggest? On the draw for all four teams are the AFC East and NFC North, but only one club (Dallas) has an NFL strength of schedule inside the top 15.
Philadelphia Eagles - Over 10 Wins (-110), Under 10 Wins (-110)
The Eagles followed up an epic Super Bowl run by reaching the postseason at 9-7 with three straight wins to close the season, then won a playoff game with some luck in Chicago. This season, oddsmakers are setting the line at 10 wins, and for several reasons, we think they surpass this total and win the NFC East.
Carson Wentz hasn't played a full season since his rookie year in 2016, but he returns fully healthy from a back injury for the 2019 campaign. Wentz's health and overall performance really hold the key to what Philadelphia's season becomes, but the offense is poised to break out barring any injuries. The reunion with DeSean Jackson and addition or Jordan Howard add dimensions to the Eagles' offense that didn't exist a season ago, and that matches up with a top-10 scoring defense from 2018 that remains mostly the same.
After going just 5-3 at home last season, we say Philly adds to that number by taking advantage of a No. 26-ranked strength of schedule and reaches 11 victories. The lack of juice (meaning the line has stayed consistent at -110) also tells us there is still value in this bet, regardless of which side you're on.
Pick: Eagles Over 10 Wins (-110)
Dallas Cowboys - Over 9 Wins (+104), Under 9 Wins (-125)
Dallas won 10 games en route to an NFC East title a season ago, but their NFL over under wins total has dipped ahead of 2019 on the DraftKings app. From a roster perspective, the team isn't much different, it even re-signed DeMarcus Lawrence and added Robert Quinn to keep one of the league's elite defenses intact. Paired with a dominant offensive line and that running game, the Cowboys should breeze past the win total of nine, right?
Yes and no. The Cowboys managed to go 7-1 at home and 5-1 inside the NFC East division in 2018. With three divisional opponents plus the Saints, Rams, Packers and Vikings coming to town this season, Dallas will need similar home-field dominance in 2019, and that's a lot to ask for. Mostly due to having a tougher schedule than the Eagles do (and the Dak Prescott question marks), we estimate Dallas has trouble reaching double digits as it battles for an NFC Wild Card spot. Another option is taking the -110 odds on Dallas to make the playoffs, regardless of record, which could happen no matter what, but has an even better shot if the Eagles fall short of expectations.
Pick: Cowboys Under 9 Wins (-125)
New York Giants - Over 5.5 Wins (-132), Under 5.5 Wins (+110)
The Giants may have some new faces, but expectations for 2019 is more of the same according to DraftKings. The team filled holes on defense, shed itself of Odell Beckham Jr. in exchange for help in multiple areas before replacing OBJ with a reliable chains-mover in Golden Tate. It's difficult to plug as many holes as the Giants have in one offseason and turn things around, which explains why this number is so low at just 5.5 wins.
The view of Giants brass seems to be that with some protection, Eli Manning is still capable of leading an explosive offense. The team has failed to protect the quarterback at every turn and throughout too many offseasons in recent memory, the Giants have been seeking offensive line help to no avail. To create time for Manning, space for stud running back Saquon Barkley and produce enough wins to cover this wager, the Giants MUST successfully revamp the line.
With that said, the Giants won five games despite being in utter dysfunction most of the way. Considering their several winnable games outside of the NFC East, smart money is on them surpassing the NFL over under wins total, though not by much. Turning down value is always tough, but the Giants have enough weapons to scrape by at 6-10.
Pick: Giants Over 5.5 Wins (-132)
Washington Redskins - Over 6.5 Wins (-186), Under 6.5 Wins (+155)
In terms of strength of schedule, no team has an easier draw than Washington, but that doesn't mean an over bet is necessarily the play here.
The 2019 season got off on the wrong foot when defensive standout Reuben Foster tore his ACL during offseason training activities. The team also let go of its leading tackler from 2018, Mason Foster, just days before training camp opened. This comes after starting quarterback Alex Smith suffered a compound leg fracture late last season and will miss the entire year, forcing rookie Dwayne Haskins or veteran Case Keenum into action. Did we mention running back Derrius Guice is also returning from an ACL injury too?
Washington added talent on defense in Landon Collins and does have plenty of strong backfield options like Adrian Peterson, Chris Thompson and Bryce Love. With that said, laying -186 for a team with so many question marks is a tough ask. The overall schedule may grade out as weak, but it starts and finishes with tough stretches that could bury Washington at just five or six wins. We are siding with value here and going under at +155.
Pick: Washington Under 5.5 Wins
Don't know how to bet on NFL online? Check out our in-depth guide to football betting at our recommended online sportsbooks.