Awards season is in full swing and will culminate later this month with the movie industry’s biggest night. The 2019 Oscars take place on Feb. 24 and NJ online sportsbook bettors may be paying closer attention to this year’s event than ever before.
For the first time, NJ sports betting apps will give the opportunity to wager on the Oscars. A number of sportsbooks are offering 2019 Oscars Betting odds, with some providing a wider variety of categories than others. Below are some of the participating sportsbooks currently offering 2019 Oscars odds:
- BetStars Sportsbook - BetStars Offers A Bet & Get Up To $500 Free
- PointsBet Sportsbook - PointsBet Offers A $50 Free Bet & Get Up To $1,000 In Risk-Free bets
- SugarHouse Sportsbook - SugarHouse Offers A First Deposit Match Bonus Up To $250 Free
- 888 Sportsbook - 888 Offers A $10 Free Bet and A First Deposit Match Bonus Up To $500 Free
- Resorts Sportsbook - Resorts Offers A Bet & Get Up To $250 Free
- DraftKings Sportsbook - DraftKings Offers A Bet & Get Up To $500 Free
- FanDuel Sportsbook - FanDuel Offers A Bet & Get Up To $500 Free
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook - Golden Nugget Offers A $50 Risk-Free Bet
- Caesars Sportsbook - Caesars Offers A First Deposit Match Up To $300 Free
New Jersey sportsbooks began taking legal bets during the Summer of 2018 and have already surpassed $1 billion in handle. In January 2019, the Garden State’s Division of Gaming Enforcement approved the allowance of betting action on the 91st Academy Awards at participating sportsbooks.
Here at BonusSeeker, we’ll be explaining how NJ Oscars online betting works and we’ll be checking out each of the above-mentioned sportsbooks and their 2019 Oscars betting lines. From there, we’ll take a look at possible selections from each sportsbook based on the value of odds and category availability.
Be sure to also check out the NJ online sportsbooks that offer 2019 Oscars betting promotions.
How 2019 Oscars Betting Works On NJ Sportsbooks
All wagers accepted on the Oscars are moneyline bets, which are essentially ‘yes or no’ bets on a given movie to win a category. This is unlike sports betting, where oftentimes point spreads are provided for bettors. The upside of betting on the moneyline is that wagers are extremely simple to make. The downside is that many Oscars categories feature heavy favorites, and going that route on the moneyline leads to larger risk and lesser payouts.
EXAMPLE: On the DraftKings Sportsbook app, Roma ia -400 to win the Academy Award for Best Picture. This means in order to win $100, NJ sports betting players have to wager $400 on Roma taking home the Oscar. On a smaller scale, players would have to bet $40 to win $10, or $80 to win $20, so on and so forth. On the flipside, Green Book has the next lowest odds in the Best Picture category at +450. A $100 wager for NJ sports betting players would cash in $450 due to the heavy plus odds attached to the film. A $10 bet would win $45 and a $20 wager would net $90 in winnings, etc.
Wagering on a film that isn’t the odds-on favorite in the Oscars is certainly the best way to secure a larger payout due to the extreme odds attached to favorites. With that said, films that are heavy Oscars favorites are oftentimes labeled as such for a reason. Pundit reviews and some results from previous awards shows earlier in the season can sometimes indicate who the winners will be on Oscar night.
2019 Oscars Betting Choices On NJ Sportsbooks
BetStars Sportsbook NJ
*as of 2/14/19
Best Actress: Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born (+1500)
- First-time nominee Lady Gaga is a long shot to win with Glenn Close being the heavy odds-on favorite, but the best odds available for Gaga are +1500 on the BetStars app if viewers feel like taking a flier on the pop star turned actress taking home an Oscar.
Best Supporting Actress: Regina King - If Beale Street Could Talk (-200)
- Regina King is a veteran actress, but a first-time nominee after earning huge amounts of praise for her role in If Beale Street Could Talk. BetStars NJ has the lowest odds of these sportsbooks at -200. This is one of the few large categories where the favorite can be wagered on at somewhat reasonable odds.
Best Director: Spike Lee - BlacKkKlansman (+1000)
- BetStars Sportsbook is tied with Resorts for having the best odds (+1000) for Spike Lee taking home the Oscar for Best Director. Lee has the second-lowest odds behind heavy favorite Alfonso Cuaron, who directed Best Picture-favorite Roma.
*as of 2/14/19
Best Supporting Actor: Sam Elliott - A Star Is Born (+1600)
- If looking for a longshot to win Best Supporting Actor, the best odds for Sam Elliott can be found at the PointsBet app. While it feels like Mahershala Ali (Green Book) is more than likely going home with his second statue in this category, a surprise win for Elliott’s role in A Star Is Born would garner a huge payday.
Best Original Screenplay: The Favourite (-117)
- The Favourite is a comedy-drama set in 18th century England and it is, well, the favorite (no pun intended) to win the Best Original Screenplay category. PointsBet Sportsbook offers the best price available of any of these sportsbooks at -117, so you’re getting the likely winner at nearly even money here.
SugarHouse Sportsbook NJ
*as of 2/14/19
Best Picture: Green Book (+450)
- The SugarHouse Sportsbook app allows players to wager on Best Picture. Mahershala Ali and Viggo Mortensen star in Green Book, which has received critical and public acclaim from its release. If it isn’t Roma taking home Best Picture, many feel Green Book is the next best option. SugarHouse Online Sportsbook, like DraftKings, has the film at +450 to take home the hardware.
*as of 2/21
Best Sound Editing: A Quiet Place (-200)
This drama/thriller featuring John Krasinski directing and starring is the odds-on favorite and can be had at 888sport for -200. A Quiet Place won Best Sound Editing at the Satellite Awards this year and the feeling among many is that NJ Oscars betting players should bank on it to take home the Academy Award as well.
*as of 2/14/19
Best Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody (+275)
- Resorts Online Casino recently launched its NJ online sportsbook, but that hasn’t stopped it from getting into the Oscars betting game in a big way. The Resorts Sportsbook app has access to every single category offered for Oscars betting, and this allows us to find an opportunity to get some great value. Although Vice has the lowest odds, next is Bohemian Rhapsody, a film selected by some experts to take home the trophy. This may be a spot to take an “underdog” winner, and +275 odds are a very nice payout for the Oscars.
*as of 2/14/19
Best Picture: Roma (-400)
- The DraftKings Sportsbook app offers only the Best Picture category, and the favorite to take home the trophy sits at -400. Roma’s story of a woman and her family amid turmoil in 1970s Mexico has quickly risen to the top of NJ sportsbooks odds tables. DraftKings Sportsbook will also offer a $20 free bet to be used on the Best Picture category upon signing up for a new account.
*as of 2/14/19
Best Actress: Glenn Close - The Wife (-480)
- Oscars odds for Best Actress say that Glenn Close is widely thought to win this award. She’s been nominated on seven occasions, including four times in this category, and has never won. It could very well be Close’s time to take home an Oscar and the -480 odds on the FanDuel Sportsbook app are the best found on these sportsbooks.
Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman (-370)
- Spike Lee’s adapted screenplay about the infiltration of the 1970s Ku Klux Klan being infiltrated won the second highest award at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival. It’s widely regarded to be the favorite to take home the Academy Award in this category. FanDuel Sportsbook has this film at -370.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook
*as of 2/21/19
Best Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody (+350)
The Golden Nugget Sportsbook app has Vice (-110) as the odds-on favorite to win this award, but experts seem split on who the winner will be. Categories with no clear-cut winner provide great opportunities to take a shot with lower odds and possibly land a bigger payout. Bohemian Rhapsody gives NJ Oscars betting players the chance to triple their money with a victory.
Best Documentary: Free Solo (-145)
This is another category with no clear-cut favorite and three nominees are close to one another in odds. Although experts do have varying opinions, the general feeling seems to be that Free Solo’s story of Alex Hannold climbing El Capitan in Yellowstone National Park is the best of the bunch. Despite there being higher odds for documentaries in this category, the Golden Nugget Online Sportsbook -145 price seems like the way to go.
*as of 2/14/19
Best Actor: Rami Malek - Bohemian Rhapsody (-380)
- Oscars Best Actor odds place first-time nominee Rami Malek above the field, and the Caesars Online Sportsbook price of -380 is the lowest of this group of sportsbooks currently. Malek’s performance as Queen frontman Freddie Mercury has garnered critical and public acclaim that puts him in the driver’s seat to win on Oscar night.
Best Actor: Christian Bale - Vice (+300)
- In addition to having the lowest price available for the category favorite, the Caesars Sportsbook app also has the most favorable odds for the runner up. Bale, a four-time nominee and past Oscar winner, can be had at +400 for his role as Vice President Dick Cheney.
Oscars betting could draw a huge number of people this year given the audience of the event. Movie buffs and viewers at home enjoy predicting which movies will win each category and rooting for films and actors they saw over the course of the year. Betting on the Academy Awards in general has the ability to enhance the natural rooting interest that comes along with the show for NJ online sports betting players.
Best of luck on Oscar night!