Betting on 2019 Oscars odds has been heating up ever since the news came down that betting on the Academy Awards would be available to NJ sports betting enthusiasts for the first time.
The Oscars sports betting market has hit a fever pitch with the event fast approaching and DraftKings Sportsbook is no exception. Bettors on the DraftKings Sportsbook app are certainly taking advantage of the opportunity to wager on a wide variety Oscars categories and that will likely be the case until all the stars walk down the red carpet on Sunday evening.
As more and more bets have been placed on this year’s awards by NJ online sports betting players, some patterns have begun to develop. Below, we will take a look at what categories DraftKings Sportsbook bettors are choosing to wager on.
Which Oscars Categories Are DraftKings Sportsbook Players Betting On?
*all statistics as of Feb. 20
The numbers to this point are in, and the biggest award of the night is the one that is seeing the most action among DraftKings Sportsbook players.
According to DK, an incredible 83.39 percent of players are putting their money into the Best Picture category. Three movies have seen the bulk of the bets for Best Picture in A Star Is Born, Black Panther and Bohemian Rhapsody.
Best Actor came in second place, although not a close one as it has received just 5.08 percent of the action. Best Supporting Actor, Bet Actress and Best Supporting Actress round out the top five categories NJ sports betting players are wagering on with DraftKings Online Sportsbook.
Next, we will go through the popularity of specific nominees on the DraftKings app in relation to their specific categories.
Breaking Down Most Popular Nominees On DraftKings Sportsbook
Out of the most popular the Best Picture nominees, all three are underdogs with high odds and large payouts, proving that DraftKings Sportsbook players are looking for a payday. Let’s go deeper into Best Picture, Best Actor and Best Actress to see which nominees are getting the majority of the action.
A Star Is Born (24.53 percent)
- A Star Is Born is a critically-acclaimed film with two talented megastars and an excellent soundtrack. Not to mention it has extremely high odds to take home Best Picture. A large percentage of DraftKings sports betting players have taken notice and are latching onto Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper at +4000 odds to take home the trophy.
Black Panther (18.15 percent)
- Black Panther was a huge hit over the summer, garnering millions of fans and grossing well over a billion dollars. It’s no surprise that bettors are using the DraftKings Sportsbook app to place support behind a movie that seems to be one of many people’s favorites of the year. The +3000 odds provide a chance to get some insane bang for your puck if you’re looking for an upset.
Bohemian Rhapsody (18.11 percent)
- As you can see, people enjoy rooting for an underdog and Bohemian Rhapsody is another one of those fan favorites from 2018. It has gotten almost a nearly identical percentage of bets compared to Black Panther among DraftKings online sports betting players. Currently, it sits at the same price as well (+3000) and features some memorable parts thanks to Queen’s music and Best Actor-favorite Rami Malek.
Bradley Cooper - A Star is Born (37.91 percent)
- Bradley Cooper edged Christian Bale (Vice) for the top spot in terms of Oscars picks for DraftKings players. Cooper taking home the Academy Award would come with an incredible payout at +2000, plus he’s a likeable talent co-starring in a film that captured the hearts of many.
Christian Bale - Vice (31.37 percent)
- Bale’s transformation into and performance of Dick Cheney have earned him another Oscar nomination, although he’s not expected by many experts to win over odds-on favorite Rami Malek (-835). Bale’s popularity among NJ sports betting players comes from the mix between a nice payout and a realistic chance to win. Getting him at +400 feels more winnable than Cooper at +2000 to some.
Lady Gaga - A Star Is Born (65.15 percent)
- It has become clear that NJ online sports betting players using the DraftKings Sportsbook app love A Star Is Born and Lady Gaga. The pop star is third in the odds at +1400 but comes with a hefty payout and has fans everywhere who want to back her. If there was to be a major upset in this category, it could be her, and plenty of DraftKings Sportsbook picks would then be correct.